dress code

My department is considering options for a "team-building" event. One guy suggests this trendy upscale bowling lane called Lucky Strike Lanes in Philly. Cool idea until we got to the dress code. (Click to view)

















One lady kept asking me - what do they mean by no headgear - like hats? Of course, I end up explaining things: I don't think they mind if YOU wear a hat...they just don't want doo-rags, wave-caps, headbands, skullycaps or fitted baseball caps. Yes, some guys wear long plain white t's. Its nothing against construction workers...when they say construction boots they mean Timberlands. (Last week I was explaining the Bloods & Crips to her after somebody brought up a news story about their rising numbers in the East Coast. She probably thinks I'm gang-afilliated now haha) As I was finishing up my explanation of their dress code, bleeding-heart liberal dude finally blurts out, "They don't want black people!" (I've heard this guy say the N word while doing his Chappelle impersonation - probably because he feels he's "down") So, I give him props for stating the obvious and tried to hint that its not just black people. Another "enlightened" guy walks in our area and says, "What is this? A bowling alley for rich whites only?" Then, I hear a whispered reply from somewhere, "Yeah my type of place" in a joking way (or maybe not).

After much discussion, the Lucky Strike guy says, "What I don't get it. Are you guys offended by the dress code? I'm not offended by it..." I was about to spit out, "Yeah cuz you're white!" but I refrained from becoming the angry person of color. I merely roll my eyes. Bleeding-heart liberal dude jumps in and cries, "C'mon man, its institutional racism. Its so transparent! They obviously want to keep black people out"

Wow, its so funny to witness white people debating race issues. Especially when you're the only minority in the room and you're hesitant to ignite a firestorm that may brand you. You wonder if the issue would be debated if you weren't there...but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Statik Selektah feat. Styles P, Termanology & Q-tip | Stop, Look & Listen

0 comments:

Find It