bar ferdinand


Headed out for a work outing in the newly gentrified end of Northern Liberties in Philly. The artists and musicians that have flooded the area in recent years have been joined by trendy hipsters. You'll still find the occasional vacant lot, but many are being converted into the flavor-of-the-month hot spot - much to the property valued delight of nearby homeowners.

I joined my coworkers for some tapas at Bar Ferdinand. The rustic Spanish-inspired interior warmly welcomed me from the bitter cold as I settled in with a tall glass of Alhambra beer. Its loud, dimly lit yet visually vibrant with rich splashes of gold, red and wood. Lots of arches, and tiled frescoes of bulls and bullfighters. Sounds predictable but its effective - and it doesn't go overboard into theme park territory. Our group of 20 dominate the long table at the center of the room. The dining area is cozy but the loungy couches at the corners and an expansive bar creates a spacious feeling.

Started off with a watercress and goat cheese salad with a splash of citrus dressing. Nice and light...but I'm here for the tapas. Bar Ferdinand's offerings were tiny but delicious. The eggplant empanadas were a definite highlight. The tender egglplant, lentils and sauce just melted wonderfully within the light pastry exterior. Calamari - didn't blow me away but was decent. The simple yet creamy filled ham croquettes worked well in bite-size. I saved the best for last with small cuts of seared lamb with citrus yogurt and Moroccan relish. I finished wanting more...but the cheesecake finished me off in the end. All in all, a rewarding dining experience - good food, beautiful setting and a sociable ambience. The tapas menu is pretty extensive, so I'm sure I'll make a return visit - without the drunk coworkers!

0 comments:

Find It